Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Words in Edgewise!

Ever been in a one sided conversation?  Do you avoid people because you know you can't get a word in the conversation?  Not only to we all know someone like that, we've all probably been guilty of doing this ourselves.  There is pressure from all sides of society to live up to things.  You have to talk up your job to impress people.  Some have to brag on their vacations and cruises.  Others have to play the woe is me card. You know that friend that NO one has it as bad as them.  The one I'm guilty of is bragging on all the accomplishments of my two boys.

I actually learned a very valuable lesson in the bragging of my kids about two years ago.  Friends of mine have an older son who was in the Army and stationed in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, the garrison their son was staying in was attacked by the Taliban.  Early in the morning my friends leaked the news that they were notified their son was severely injured.  He was being air lifted to a station in the Persian Gulf but conditions were bad.  Later in the day I spotted my friend picking up his younger son at school and proceeded over to ask about his boy. To my utter disbelief, before I could ask my friend stuck out his hand to shake mine and said, "Hey Van, how's Julian and Reece?".  My jaw hit the ground and for the first time in my life I was completely speechless! This man's son was a world away, full of shrapnel, and condition unknown, but he cared enough about our friendship and my sons to ask about them. I felt so small shaking the hand of a man who cared about more than just his family.

I made a vow that day to listen as much as I talk.  Which is a lot.  Also, to make it a point to go out of my way to ask about others.  You see it's a two edged sword.  People are so desperate for attention and caring for there lives and loved ones, that if you would ask first it would put them at ease.  If some one feels like you are genuinely interested in them or their family then they are more inclined to have a two way conversation.  They will take time out of their rant to ask about your needs and family.  The best way to combat peer pressure is to assure people that you approve of them from square one.


“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all
of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
― Leo F. Buscaglia
Make a difference today by asking someone about themselves.

PS. Their Son is alive and well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment