Monday, June 3, 2013

Lessons of a Squirrel.

DEATH TO ALL SQUIRRELS!!  I love my garden.  Some of my other posts show my obsession with gardening.  There is always competition for my veggies.  That competition comes from more than my In-laws and friends.  There are those dreaded little furry creatures that look at my garden as a Las Vegas buffet.  Do you know a raccoon can peel and eat corn on the cob while still on the bush?  My dad decided to try to eliminate the raccoon.  He caught four in five nights.  Then a week later and I don't have a single kernel of corn left.  Needless to say, there are more coons and they are still hungry.  So now the local squirrel population as acquired a taste for vine ripened tomatoes! A couple of days ago I walk out to work in the garden and there's a tiny two ounce gray squirrel hauling off with a four inch tomato.  Then today I walk out to a tomato wasteland.  No less than a dozen of my precious red fruits eaten and strung out across the garden.  Get the gun!

The raccoons and squirrels are persistent if nothing else.  Yes they have an animal instinct and are driven to by the need to eat, but it is persistence that will get them their food.  I find it ironic that the same quality that most people see as good is destroying my garden.  Most single women want to date a man that is consistent in pursuing her.  Unless that consistence in pursuing her is no longer wanted.  Then it becomes stalking.  Most would say that spending time with others is a good thing.  We all want people to take the time to hear us out and make us feel important.  But when time becomes a thirty year old son sitting on the couch for days on end then it's not such a great quality.  We hope that everyone has a sense of humor or more specifically our sense of humor.  Then all of sudden we are the butt of every joke and humor is not such a great quality. Everyone wants a spouse that has passion.  As long as that passion is directed at us.  If my passion is directed at fantasy football then my wife would not be so attracted to my being passionate.

We are not so different from the squirrel.  We want what we need in this life.  How quickly we are to build up others and compliment their qualities.  When in reality it is meant to do whatever is necessary to keep others serving us.  Politicians and used car salesmen are considered lowest form of our society.  Why you ask?  They are consider scum because they use people to get want they want by means of flattery and lies.  They are doing whatever is necessary to survive another day.  The fact is we all use others to get what we need in this life.  The question is do you quickly discard others as soon as your need is fulfilled?  How far does your loyalty go?  Do you keep people in your life after their function is complete?  The definition of persistence is to out live your designated purpose.  Learn from the squirrel, be persistent with the people in your life and never give up on anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment