Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Hold on to Sixteen as long as you can!

My wife in the hospital with our second son.
Today is my older Son's last day as a sixteen year old.  Tomorrow will make his seventeenth birthday and he will officially be an adult according to the state of Louisiana.  Needless to say, I'm a little sentimental because it feels more like a bullet train ride than an entire childhood that has passed. I still remember the night he was born.  My wife was in labor for more than twenty hours.  The doctors finally decided to cut him out at about quarter past midnight.  Because of the medicine and the long labor they gave the wife some more medicine to sleep and at three o'clock in the morning handed me my Son for the first time and left the room.  I was all alone with this strange little baby that I knew nothing about.  I had no connection with him at that point.  After all, it was not me who carried him for nine months.  Three days later I was shaking like a leaf when I drove him home for the first time.  Seems like a few weeks ago.


He had a severe case of colic.  For six months no one slept for more than twenty minutes at a time.  I thought that six months was a sentence to an eternity in hell.  Looking back now, it was just a blip on the timeline.  The other seasons came and went with increasing speed.  The cost of diapers and formula is very high but before you know it that season was over.  Then came walking, running, talking, toys, video games, and something new for Dad to learn everyday when I got home from work.  How many nights I laid in his bed and played Mario for him because he couldn't get to the next level?  He sure doesn't need much help from me these days. Then came a little brother that changed his whole world in one day.  Then came school, learning, PTOs, Tee Ball, music, and Scouts.  When he made eight my life changed and instead of working I was the one staying home with him.  How many firsts did I get to experience with him?  I'm not sure, but it was a privilege to be on every single one.  Lately, there has been many crowning moments for him.  He is now an Eagle Scout, Captain of his High School Band, and employee at the local grocery store.  And the future is very bright, with his outstanding academic scores he is sure to get into the college of his choosing.


So basically that's it, an entire childhood in one paragraph and it seems that it went by as fast has reading that paragraph.  No matter what season you and you child are in, I suggest you cherish it.  Crying babies may not see like a good time but it will pass soon and very soon.  Trying to keep up with a toddler that climbs and touches everything may seem never ending but it will be memories you miss.  Doing homework for four hours every night may seem like a prison sentence but it will be time very well served. You can't stop time, nor should you try, but take a few moments to cherish all the things that happen in your brief time to raise a child. Don't wait till the seasons are over to pour your life into your kids, start now.  If you put forth your best effort in all these season then the sadness of your child entering into adulthood will be replaced with the joy of a fine young man or woman that you are proud to call yours. I think my boy is off to a great start, even if it was at mach two.  He's a fine young adult man.



1996
2013








Happy Birthday my Boy!


6 comments:

  1. Great story. Thank you for sharing. My oldest will be 17 in December. I have no clue where the time has gone. If there is one thing that I could tell a new parent it would be to cherish every moment and enjoy your kids. They grow up way too fast and before you know it they are grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice Christy. Sounds like your kids have parents that are on top of the growing up process,

      Delete
  2. Time flies with incredible speed and when I look at my son it feels unreal that he can be 21 already. We have to treasure the time we have with our children because we don't know if it will change in a blink of an eye. My oldest son died by suicide and I regret not spending more time with him. Happy birthday to your precious son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for your loss Rea. I can only imagine how precious your memories are to you.

      Delete
  3. What a handsome young man he has turned out to be. Sometimes these benchmarks are more traumatic to the parent than it is for the child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I take full responsibility for his good looks.

      Delete